Tenant Support Worker
Program and Site Location: 24 Hour Supportive Housing, Burdock
Reports To: Coordinator of Supportive Housing, Burdock
Term: Temporary Full-Time (30 hours) starting asap for six months with the possibility of extension
Hours: Friday to Monday 4:00pm to 12:00am with ½ hour paid break with casual/on-call opportunities.
Wage Range: $23.16 up to $26.97 based on education and related experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization through the generous support of funders are able to assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and who may use substances or have mental health challenges, with harm reduction, health education, and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Position Summary: As a Tenant Support Worker, you will provide life skills services to Program Participants who may struggle with mental health concerns, substance use challenges, and chronic health conditions. Within this role you will support Program Participants to identify individual goals and develop life skills necessary to live as independently as possible. Service delivery is based on a client centered, trauma informed and non-judgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
Tenant Support Worker Responsibilities
- Encourage and support Program Participants to live as fully and independently as possible.
- Participate in the assessment, goal setting and program planning for Program Participants when requested.
- Provide supervision and support to mitigate individual and program risk to ensure safety, comfort, and wellness.
- Work closely with identified community resources for each Program Participant.
- Actively seek the views of Program Participants and involve them in decision making to improve their own identity, purpose, and self-esteem.
- Complete wellness checks/room checks when required.
- Monitor and move along community members who are loitering in and around the property.
- Provide crisis intervention as required including overdose responses by ensuring immediate access to medical services and completing necessary incident reports when required.
- Conduct assessments of potential Program Participants using the BC Housing mandated Vulnerability Assessment Tool (VAT) when requested.
- Complete accurate and up to date communication/case notes.
- Maintain files and statistics as per accreditation standards.
- Complete move in/move out documentation as required by the Property Services Department.
- Work in collaboration with the Licensed Practical Nurse to ensure medication adherence and documentation.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor of Social Work, Human Services Diploma, Support Worker/Care Aid Certificate, or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or lived experience.
- Strong ability to recognize and address difficult behaviors.
- Good communication, documentation, interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Ability to work within a team-based environment involving multi-agency supports.
- Strong working knowledge of community resources.
- Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable/appropriate transportation with business use coverage.
- VAT (Vulnerability Assessment Tool) training an asset.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 required.
- Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
- Mental Health First Aid, ASIST, and Trauma Informed Practice an asset.
- As Program Participants are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “Burdock Temporary Friday to Monday”. You may also apply directly online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $23.16-$26.97 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Ability to commute/relocate:
- PENTICTON, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- supportive care: 1 year (preferred)
- double COVID Vaccination Status (required)
Work Location: One location