The Equipment Trainer is responsible for training employees to safely and efficiently operate surface mining equipment including haul trucks, cable shovels, hydraulic shovels, loaders, graders, excavators and other various equipment.
The incumbent will report to the General Foreman, Surface Mine Operations and is directly responsible for the supervision of new equipment Trainees as well as updating the skills of experienced operators.
RESPONSIBILITIES & PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
- Required to train employees to operate equipment safely and efficiently in compliance with CST Coal safety and operating procedures.
- Prepares reports and complete documentation in relation to mine operations and training.
- Conducts classroom and field training of new hires, including site orientation and operation of assigned equipment.
- Receives updated training and stays current on the latest methods of equipment operation including simulator operations.
- Responsible for identifying and correcting improper operating procedures as related to mechanical availability or longevity of the equipment.
- Tracking employee hours for qualification on equipment per union agreement.
- Establish relationships with employees and engage them in their own learning and development
- Balance administrative and field responsibilities, conduct task inventories and needs assessments, develop learning interventions and appropriate delivery methods.
- Execute the flawless delivery of safety and area training focusing on competency assessments both in-class and in the field
- Set learning objectives and develop an evaluation strategy for each piece of training to ensure alignment to identified needs and training outcomes, stewarding the competency management process for hands on operations employees
- Conduct a learning needs analysis based on job, task or content analysis
- Work with employees and their foremen to ensure compliance to safety and regulatory requirements and review compliance monthly
- Maintain accurate training records following established processes for reporting, stewardship, monitoring, record-keeping and archiving material
- Implement strategies to support change and continuous improvement initiatives at all levels
- Collaborate with other training employees to achieve efficient alliances
- At least 5 years of related work experience is required.
- Post-secondary in Adult Education is considered an asset.
- Experience working in a surface mine training environment is beneficial.