This position is responsible for surface mine engineering activities including design, planning, scheduling, and preparation of regulatory applications and development of operational and capital budgets to ensure that production and safety targets are met or exceeded on both a short and long term basis.
This position reports to the Principal Engineer and directly supervises Mine Engineers and Technologists. He/she is indirectly responsible for Surveyors and Helpers, Co-op Mining Students and Engineers in Training (EIT) as determined by the work being performed at the time. The incumbent may be responsible to oversee contractors or consultants as circumstances require.
RESPONSIBILITIES & PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
The Senior Mine Engineer is responsible for the same duties and functions as the Mine Engineer however at a more senior level with more responsibility for planning, projects, design, etc. as the business needs dictate. Senior level functions will include the following:
- Responsible for preparation tactical, short range and long range/life-of-mine production plans.
- Responsible for bench, blast pattern, dump and access road designs and the efficiencies of those.
- Responsible for budget preparations.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of regulatory reports and technical modification reports.
- Responsible for evaluating all potential solutions to planning issues as they arise and to develop the most cost effective plan.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with Mine Operations, Geology, technical groups and Surveyors to ensure that development and implementation of the mine plan maximizes productivity and personnel safety.
- Provide mentorship, coaching, direction, supervision and guidance to direct reports while ensuring that performance management including the need for discipline, if necessary, is maintained on a regular basis.
- Assist the Department Superintendent with management of the Department by participating in meetings, presentations and proposals as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Must have a P.Eng and a Mine Engineering Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
A minimum of 10 years direct experience in a surface mining environment is required. Previous supervisory experience is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Safety attitude and personal commitment to a zero incident work place
- Well-developed leadership skills
- Knowledge of OH&S Mining Regulations and related legislation
- Knowledge of open pit mine operations including bench, road and dump design and development. Coal mine knowledge is preferred.
- Knowledge of drilling and blasting techniques in an open pit mine.
- Well developed knowledge and ability in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation computer applications including commercial 3D mining software and AutoCAD. Experience with MineSight® is preferred.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrated flexibility in responding to changing priorities
- Supervisory skills to coach, train and mentor others
- Well developed oral and written communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a strong ability to conceptualize
- Sound time management skills and multi-tasking abilities
- Functional knowledge of programming languages (e.g. Python, etc.) considered an asset