You are the right person for this role if you:
✓ are motivated to work towards a sustainable barrier-free community where everyone is equipped with tools and opportunities to discover their purpose and reach their highest potential;
✓ are energized by providing the opportunity for young women and young gender-diverse people to gain financial stability by building employment skills through work experience in a bricks & clicks retail setting;
✓ excel at coaching youth ages 15-30 to identify their areas of challenge and overcome barriers by developing a broad range of life skills, employability skills and labour market knowledge in order to participate in the current and future labour market
This position supports the Training and Employment Services Department of YW Kitchener-Waterloo to deliver Youth Employment and Skills Strategies (YESS) training program to young women & gender diverse people aged 15-30 who are seeking assistance to overcome employment barriers. These barriers may include, but are not limited to, challenges faced by disabilities and mental illness, single or solo parenting, incomplete schooling, discrimination, recent immigration, lack of coping and life skills, and facing homelessness or unsafe housing situations.
o Perform coaching and mentoring activities in retail-based customer service, de-escalating situations with customers, brick-and-mortar marketing techniques, inventory and accountancy tracking.
o Perform coaching and mentoring in digital literacy activities such as website design/editing, product photography and social media content creation.
o Provide coordination and support to YW Thrift Boutique in person & online store placement including coordinating participant activities related to work experience in the social enterprise; assisting with financial and sales reporting for YW Thrift Boutique.
o Assist youth participants to perform on the job training at the brick and mortar store and online store, YW Thrift Boutique, and other internal Quality Employment Opportunities.
o Identify employment goals and learning opportunities within YW Thrift Boutique to overcome the barriers to their success
o Assist with designing and facilitating learning opportunities for youth with barriers to financial security by facilitating training to gain retail and e-commerce/digital literacy skills
o Adapt instructional strategies and materials according to the needs of the participants and/or the employer partners to stimulate class discussion and student engagement
o Ensure learning outcomes are clear and achievable
o Design and facilitate employment-related workshops
Networking and Outreach:
o Marketing for YW Thrift & In Her Shoes programming
o Assists with initiating and fostering relationships with various stakeholders, training providers and corporate leaders to identify opportunities, develop supports, provide employment opportunities and track successes
o Assist with participant’s job maintenance and retention upon graduation
o Assist the participants to develop and enhance their life and employment skills through coaching and individualized support
o Assist participants with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing résumés and preparing for job interviews
o Assist youth to make successful transitions into the labour market or school
Assessment, Evaluation & Reporting:
o Assist in evaluating, monitoring and documenting participants’ progress and activities
o Assist with identifying barriers to employment and assist clients with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies and preparing for job interviews
Other projects, duties, and responsibilities as reasonably assigned
Skills, Qualifications, & Requirements:
- Valid degree/diploma/certificate/ in Career Development, Job Development, Human Resources, Business Management, Marketing and/or a combination of related work and academic experience (required)
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in retail or e-commerce work environments and supervisory or training positionso Digital marketing or social media management considered an asset
- Ability to work in a performance-based system with a proven track record of meeting targets and deadlines in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of instructional methods and experience developing and delivering training content to the target demographic with excellent presentation skills
- High level of human relations and negotiation skills to establish and maintain appropriate communication links with participants, partners and stakeholders
- Proficiency in Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides and Classroom) and Microsoft Office 365, online social marketing platforms and online software programs
- Ability to think independently, set priorities and resolve problems effectively
- Knowledge of the Kitchener-Waterloo labour market and industry trends
- Vaccine Verification - As a condition of employment you are required to provide confirmation that you are vaccinated against COVID-19 or have proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the YW.
Hours & Compensation:
- Hours/Shifts: Monday to Friday, 9:30 pm to 5:30 pm based on program needs. (22 hours paid per week + 30 min lunch breaks) Occasional requirement to attend evening or weekend meetings and events
- Location: In Person, YW Thrift Boutique / In Her Shoes, 102 King Street West, Downtown Kitchener
- Start Date: ASAP
- End Date: March 31, 2023 (with possibility of extension)
- Pay Rate: $27.08 per hour to start
Apply: Online through Indeed OR in writing to: Manager of Training & Employment Services, 102 King St W, Kitchener, ON N2G 1A6 No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YW Guiding Principles:
We respect the dignity and worth of individuals.
We value diversity among people.
We respect the fundamental right to self-determination.
We acknowledge the holistic nature of human needs–body, mind, and spirit.
We ensure that women are respected, their voices are heard, and their issues are addressed.
We focus clearly, but not exclusively, on women and girls.
We act with integrity and are accountable to our community.
The YW Kitchener-Waterloo is committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and responsive to the diversity of Kitchener-Waterloo, in which all people are respected and valued. If you require accommodation throughout the hiring process, we will work with you to meet your needs
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $27.08 per hour
- Casual dress
- Employee assistance program
- Store discount
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
- retail or e-commerce work environments: 2 years (preferred)
- Digital marketing or social media management: 1 year (preferred)
- supervisory and/or training: 1 year (preferred)