Personal Support Worker - Surgical
Choose Collingwood General & Marine Hospital:
Explore a role with Collingwood General & Marine Hospital (CGMH) and live your ideal lifestyle. Located on the shores of Georgian Bay, you have the opportunity to enjoy the 4-season recreational community.
CGMH is an 82-bed facility serving more than 60,000 permanent residents and 3.5 million annual visitors to the communities of Wasaga Beach, Collingwood, Clearview and the Blue Mountains. CGMH is an acute care hospital providing emergency care, diagnostic services including lab, imaging and cardio respiratory therapy, as well as two inpatient units (medicine and surgery). In addition, CGMH provides care in specialty areas including obstetrics, orthopaedics, intensive care and surgery. The Hospital also provides outpatient care including dialysis and a wide range of clinics including mental health and rehabilitation services. There are endless opportunities for families, adventure seekers, boaters, foodies and so much more.
At Collingwood General & Marine Hospital, we are anchored by our vision, mission and values and guided by our strategic directions. If you exhibit the core values of CGMH; Inclusive, Caring, Accountable, Respect, Excellence, Teamwork, Adaptable, we want you to join us in providing exceptional services to our patient and their families.
Current Immunization Record required, including two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, short of an approved exemption on a ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
This position includes a comprehensive and competitive benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short/long term disability plans, HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan), Employee & Family Assistance Program and access to CGMH Perkopolis discounts.
Personal Support Workers provide care to any person who requires personal assistance with activities of daily living (ADL). They may also provide additional care as delegated by an RHP as needed and when it can be performed safely and within Provincial legislation. PSW’s provide personal care and related paraprofessional services in accordance with an established plan of care, typically involving both personal care tasks and incidental activities of daily living such as housekeeping, meal preparation, socialization and companionship.
- PSW certification and/or partial completion of post-secondary nursing education
- Previous experience in a high paced, rapidly changing atmosphere
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal with the public in a courteous manner
- Ability to function as a team member in a collaborative environment
- Ability to accept direction and work independently
- Satisfactory work performance in present position
- Proven satisfactory attendance record
- Current CPR certification
- Must strive to continuously provide a safe and supportive environment for patients, staff, physicians, and volunteers
- Must adhere to the duties of workers, as stipulated in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Must have an ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) in the English language in order to provide excellent communication with team members, patients and families.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Must be dedicated to professional growth & development
- Must be able to perform all bona fide and essential duties of the position, which may include physical demands such as moving/transferring patients, pushing, pulling, bending, etc.
- Must have demonstrated excellent attendance/performance record
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively communicate with other members of the health care team
- Knowledge of medical terminology an asset
- Ability to communicate in additional language(s) is considered an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist patient(s) with activities of daily living such as feeding, lifts and transfers, bathing, skin care, oral hygiene, and toileting
- Perform delegated tasks which have been delegated by an RHP in compliance with the RHPA for which transfer of functional training has been completed, such as insertion of a digit or instrument into a body cavity, care or procedure under the dermis and any task or skill needing a physician’s prescription
- Assist with medication and medication reminders to person(s) in accordance with established employer or government policy
- Must continuously observe person(s) and their environments, and must report and document unsafe conditions and behavioral, physical, and / or cognitive changes to an appropriate supervisor
- Must communicate and demonstrate basic information to person(s) in relation to activities of daily living, light housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, in accordance with pre-established Plan of Care
- Complete and maintain related records and documentation such as communication books and progress notes
- May be involved in the discussion of inventory and stocking of supplies
- May perform light housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, washing dishes, and laundry
- Other duties as assigned
Employment Group: SEIU Service
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
Start Date: In line with the next Hospital Orientation Intake
Hours of Work: 12 hours – days, nights and weekend. Please be reminded that as a Hospital, in order to provide the necessary patient care, our operations run 24/7. Therefore, depending on the program for which you are applying, it may be an expectation that you are available to work week days and weekends, as well as all shifts - days, evenings, and nights.
Wage: $25.19 - $25.72
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in joining our inspiring team, please apply online before 11:59pm EST on the posting close date by submitting an updated copy of your resume and cover letter in PDF or Word format.
Due to the volume of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised that as part of the mandatory screening process CGMH requires professional references, verification of academic training, professional accreditation, plus a current Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Collingwood General and Marine Hospital is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We encourage all qualified individuals who may contribute to a diverse and inclusive workplace to apply. If contacted regarding a competition, please advise Human Resources of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.