The Health & Safety Specialist is a skilled, organized, and energetic individual capable of directing and coordinating the activities concerned with the health & safety of the company by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates. You will plan, organize, direct, control, and evaluate the safety operations and develop, and implement policies, programs, and procedures regarding the health and safety of the business. You oversee and participate actively in joint committee meetings to maintain ongoing relations between management and employees. You must have excellent attention to detail to identify hazards. You must be able to discover opportunities for improving conditions and execute various safety programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Health & Safety Specialist performs some or all of the following duties:
- Follow-up on all health and safety-related procedures working with the management.
- Plan, organize, direct, control, and evaluate the operations of the Health and Safety department.
- Plan Health and Safety requirements in conjunction with other departmental managers.
- Prepare, update, and organize documentation related to Health & Safety.
- Train and inform staff on updated Health & Safety procedures.
- Prepare Safe Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and conduct risk assessments related to all Production machines & equipment for safety hazards.
- Responsible for waste disposal management with production and inventory control guided by the Ministry of the Environment.
- Compile regular Health & Safety management data and provide reports for review at relevant Committees.
- Conduct monthly inspections of the physical condition of the workplace to identify hazards and record corrective action of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements.
- Report all findings to WSIB, i.e. incident reports, accident reports, near miss reports, etc.
- Review Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of consumables.
- Create requisition of PPE (safety gloves, safety glasses, cutting knife, knee pads, etc.)
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s (B.A) University Degree or College Diploma in OHSA or 2-5 years’ manufacturing experience is required, ideally in the Conveyor Belting/Manufacturing environment.
- Current certifications in First Aid and CPR, is highly desirable.
- Certified in Health & Safety is required.
- Knowledgeable on current Provincial and Federal Health & Safety legislation.
- Proficient MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26.44-$31.25 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift