Job Title: General Cook
Program and Site Location: 24 Hour Supportive Housing, Burdock House
Reports To: Head Cook, Burdock
Term: Temporary Full-Time (37.5 hours per week) starting ASAP up to October 15, 2022
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 12:00pm to 8:00pm with ½ hour paid break
Wage Range: $20.66 to $24.69 based on education and related experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, mental health challenges, harm reduction, health education and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Position Summary: Work alongside the Head Cook of Burdock House, as their assistant, at an excellent level while maintaining and abiding by all standards, policies and/or procedures set forth by the ASK Wellness Society and any applicable government agencies. In partnership with the Head Cook manage daily kitchen activities, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring ordering and stocking.
Typical Duties Include:
General Cook Responsibilities
- Assist team to prepare and cook large quantities of food for 60+ (continental breakfast and dinner).
- Lead meal prep/service and supervise kitchen team in Head Cook’s absence.
- Provide guidance to other kitchen staff members and tenant support workers with respect to food preparation, service, and cleaning.
- Oversee and organize kitchen stock and ingredients.
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verify all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance.
- Keep cooking stations stocked, especially before and during prime operation hours.
- Assist the Head Cook to hire and train new kitchen employees to kitchen standards.
- Assist Head Cook with menu creation, managing food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimizing waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns.
- Verify food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed.
- Regularly monitor and inspect kitchen equipment, report any problems or inconsistencies to the Head Chef and make recommendations for repair or procurement.
- Ensure high standards of hygiene, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times as per industry standards.
- Ensure compliance with all supportive standards, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined in this job description.
- When requested, assist Head Cook with reviewing invoices from suppliers for accuracy and updating computer files related to food service annually and as needed (food inventories, signage and labels, recipe books).
- When requested, be a member of the COA’s Performance and Quality Improvement team in which you will encourage the organization to use data to identify areas of needed improvement and implement improvement plans in support of achieving performance targets, program goals, client satisfaction, and positive client outcomes.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of two years prep/cooking experience an asset.
- Formal culinary training is considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of food hygiene and safe kitchen practices including the use of commercial equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) an asset.
- Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1, Food Safe Level 1 and WHMIS required.
- Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
- Mental Health First Aid, ASIST, and Trauma Informed Practice an asset.
- As Program Participants are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “General Cook-Burdock”. This position will remain open until the successful candidate has been found. You may also apply directly online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.66-$24.69 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Penticton, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Cooking: 1 year (preferred)
- Food Safe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (preferred)
- Proof of Vaccination (required)