Job Title: General Cook, Maverick
Program and Site Location: Supportive Recovery and Career Development Program, 1250 Hillside Court
Reports To: Treatment and Supportive Recovery Coordinator
Term Permanent Part-Time (18 hours per week) with Casual/On-Call Opportunities
Hours: Friday 8:00am to 2:00pm, Saturday and Sunday 10:00am to 4:00pm
Wage Range: $20.66 to $24.09 based on education and related experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, mental health challenges, harm reduction, health education and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Position Summary: Work alongside the Head Cook of the Maverick Treatment and Supportive Recovery Program helping the marginalized community at an excellent level while maintaining and abiding by all standards, policies and/or procedures set forth by the ASK Wellness Society and any applicable government agencies. In partnership with the Head Cook manage daily kitchen activities, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring ordering and stocking. Service delivery is based on a client centered, non-judgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
- Assist with the planning around meal preparation including but not limited to daily kitchen activities, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring/ordering.
- Assist with utilizing Food Bank deliveries and shopping for kitchen supplies.
- Assist with cleaning of kitchen and kitchen equipment.
- Set up and run the dishwashing operation. Clean pots and pans as needed.
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verify all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance.
- Assist the Head Cook with managing food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimizing waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns.
- Verify food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed.
- Contribute to the protection of Program Participants from abuse, and support Participants when they are in distress.
- Help maintain a clean and organized workspace by doing light housekeeping in the common area.
- Check temperatures and maintain sanitation equipment.
- Replace paper towels and clean hand sink.
- Stock food on shelves and in refrigerator.
- Report to Head Cook any problems in the kitchen or dining room.
- Take out all garbage when necessary.
- Clean the kitchen area, including floors, as needed.
- Monitor emergencies that take place in the kitchen such as medical or mental health assistance and complete necessary incident reports.
- When necessary, be trained to be the first to respond to an overdose situation with on-the-spot overdose response and support.
- Other duties which may or may not be listed within this job description.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all ASK supportive standards, policies, and procedures.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of two years prep/cooking experience an asset.
- Formal culinary training is considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of food hygiene and safe kitchen practices including the use of commercial equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) an asset.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1, WHMIS, and Food Safe Level 1 required.
- In-house Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness Training, and 2sLGBTQ+ Training provided.
- As clients are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “General Cook, Maverick”. This position will remain open until the successful candidate is chosen. You may also apply directly online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor.
If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: 18 per week
Salary: $20.66-$24.09 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- English not required
- Day shift
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kamloops, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Proof of Vaccination (required)