ABOUT GOWLING WLG
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. We are guided by our firm’s Core Values - The Power of Teamwork, Always Striving to be Better, We all Bring Something Different - in all that we do.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are an integral part of our firm’s core values. We are always striving to build a more equitable, engaging and rewarding workplace by attracting and retaining talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds, cultures and experiences. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks, paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business services team members work together, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are currently recruiting for a Finance Manager to join our Finance team. The Finance Manager will be responsible for managing a team of Financial Analysts and Senior Financial Analysts and overseeing the monthly accounting close process, the reporting of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, and all historical internal and external reporting requirements. The Finance Manager will assist in leading the day-to-day operations of a team of Financial Analysts through management of priorities and review and oversight of their work.
- Manage the monthly accounting close process ensuring timeliness, accuracy, and completeness.
- Manage the reporting of monthly, quarterly and annual balance sheets and income statements.
- Manage all general ledger accounting including cash, prepaids, receivables, WIP, accruals, intercompany, capital assets, long term debt and other assets and liability accounting ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Work with the Director of Finance, Reporting & Analysis to ensure financial controls are designed appropriately and operating effectively including all account reconciliations (Bank, AR, AP, fee billing, unbilled disbursements), journal entry reviews, asset safeguarding and reporting review controls.
- Ensure compliance with ASPE, the partnership’s accounting policies and provincial law society rules and requirements.
- Assist with all internal and external historical reporting including the law firm’s financial statements and notes, other legal entity statements and the firm’s consolidated financial statements, bank reporting and other monthly reports.
- Working as part of a team, provide guidance and leadership to the Reporting and Analysis team.
- Liaise with auditors and consultants regarding tax accounting and audit requirements.
- Participation in other projects, as required.
- University degree; professional accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CFA).
- 7+ years of progressive and relevant experience in finance roles.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Demonstrates a solutions-oriented approach, challenges status quo, and strives to improve processes.
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members and provide outstanding client service.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing tasks/priorities in order to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Gowling WLG employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
An offer of employment will be conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Any exemption request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and granted only where the request meets the requirements of applicable legislation.
Not sure if you meet all the requirements? If you are excited about this opportunity but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Gowling WLG is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.