Job descriptionPosition Description:
Looking for a Software Engineer opportunity at a place you can make a difference every day? Discover this great opportunity in our Toronto, Ontario, Canada location.You will be part of a professional team which supports operations at all DriveTest Centres across Ontario on behalf of the Ministry of Transportation. You will be part of a team of 3 developers. Our team is based out of one of our 56 DriveTest Centre locations. Bring your expertise and customer service skills Serco Canada Inc. where challenging and rewarding job opportunities await you!
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for on-going fixes, enhancements, and upgrades of web-based COTS and custom applications and the underlying Microsoft SQL database.
In this role, you will:
- Design and develop software applications on J2EE based platform.
- Develop detailed program specifications.
- Unit test code.
- Develop, test, and deploy necessary fixes and application upgrades in collaboration with partners and other IT support teams.
- Participate in integration and regression testing.
- Write documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, and corrections.
- Participates in tier 3 application support activities including incident management and supports the assessment and delivery of application upgrades and patches.
- Troubleshoot application/database/system issues and provide a Root Cause Analysis (RCA) working effectively with partners and/or Open-Source communities.
- Provide off-hour support to avoid any service impact to the customer.
- Develop/build enhancements to solution as required by customer and business.
- Participate in code reviews – peer and junior.
- Participates in team-based projects, many of which may be matrix managed; must be accustomed to completing deliverables within time and budgetary constraints.
- Mentor junior staff members for career development.
- Perform other technical duties as assigned.
- Authorization to work in Canada.
- The ability to pass Criminal Record Check (CPIC) and Fingerprint Check.
- An Associate's degree in Computer Science.
- 1 year of hands-on Java experience.
- Must have 0-2 years of experience in developing, implementing, and/or supporting web-based applications using Java, Spring Framework, Open-Source frameworks, 3rd party COTS, and relational database (Oracle and/or Microsoft SQL).
- The knowledge of industry standards for design and application development.
- Experience troubleshooting and fixing complex web-based application/system issues.
- A strong sense of ownership and urgency in supporting a mission-critical business environment.
- The ability to work under limited supervision.
- To ensure the on-going maintenance of a safe, healthy and sustainable working environment, and works in compliance with H&S rules and regulations.
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology / Computer Science or related disciplines e.g. Engineering.
- Hands-on technology experience in JBoss App Server, JBoss AMQ/BRMS, Angular JS, Java, Python, Hibernate, MySQL, Apache Tomcat, Qmatic, VMware, Microsoft Windows, and Redhat OS.
- Familiarity and experience supporting the Government of Ontario IT Standards (GO-ITS) is a plus.
Serco Canada Inc. an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values, Serco Canada is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. Serco Canada will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Serco Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Serco Inc. is using this posting for the purpose of building a talent pipeline of qualified candidates for future anticipated growth. This position is not a funded/active opening. Should the position become funded/active, qualified candidates will be invited to re-apply to the updated posting.Company Overview: Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc. Serco serves every branch of the U.S. military, numerous U.S. Federal civilian agencies, the Intelligence Community, the Canadian government, state and local governments, and commercial clients. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, Serco Americas has over 9,000 employees and is part of a $4 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. At Serco, our employees are our most valuable asset - we listen, respect and support them throughout their career at Serco. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying our workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets).
To review Serco benefits please visit: https://www.serco.com/na/careers/benefits-of-choosing-serco.
If you require an accommodation with the application process please email: [email protected] or call the HR Service Desk at 800-628-6458, option 1. Please note, due to EEOC/OFCCP compliance, Serco is unable to accept resumes by email.
Serco does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies without being a contracted approved vendor. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Serco and will not be obligated to pay a placement or contract fee. If you are interested in becoming an approved vendor at Serco, please email [email protected]
COVID-19 Regulations: Serco complies with all applicable COVID-19 requirements. This may require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, provide attestations regarding vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, or satisfy other conditions of employment that Serco deems appropriate, and employees may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative COVID-19 test results as a condition of employment (except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation).