FRPD is an award-winning, forward-thinking organization that is focused on continual improvement. Employees of FRPD are expected to represent the company internally and externally in a professional manner that enhances the reputation of the company and reinforces its values. In order for FRPD to Function at the highest level and maintain its status as one of the premier construction companies in all of Canada, we must have strong dedicated leadership throughout the organization. As the Crane and Derrick Superintendent, you will provide leadership in the technical aspects of supporting all areas concerning the operation of crane and marine derricks.
- Take the lead role in creating and establishing a system that will ensure all crane operators have been trained and remain competent in the operation of every crane they are operating. The tracking system should be readily accessible to all stakeholders across Business Groups.
- Take the lead role in verifying the competency of crane operators among Deck Engineers, Deck Hands, and some Mobile Equipment Operators.
- Anticipate training needs and track training requirements for all operators; coordinate training resources and timing through the Operations
- Provide leadership in ensuring FRPD’s crane operator apprentices receive the experience they need to facilitate the efficient completion of their certification and become a fully qualified operator at the shortest time possible
- Coach and mentor new Deck Eng. and Deck Hands, and help them gain the experience and confidence they need to work on any of FRPD’s Marine Derricks. Will also provide assistance to the union in running their Deck Hand course.
- Conduct site visits to ensure cranes and derricks are being properly maintained on site (housekeeping, safety supplies, general supplies) and help ensure safety hazards are eliminated to proactively avoid any safety related incidents
- Play a significant role in working with management on the continuous improvement in safety related to mobile equipment and derricks; recommend and lead the development of safe working procedures
- Represent FRPD at industry implemented crane committees
- Ensure that all modifications and upgrades to cranes and mobile equipment comply with WorkSafeBC regulations and industry standards by liaising with operators, mechanics and E & Y members and promote open communication, and clearly understand the needs of the project and operators and ensure the right equipment is being use for the intended purpose.
- Responsible to ensure all crane charts are up-to-date and available
- Support the Project Management teams in the selection of the right piece of equipment and help with the development of lift plans. Generally, this support will be required in the pre-mobilization and/or bidding process
- Develop strong working relationships with the unionized labor, technical staff, project managers, superintendents, health & safety staff and operational management
- Ensure full compliance to WorkSafeBC guideline and CSA Standards in regards to cranes and rigging.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 5 years in a Supervisory role
- Must hold a Crane Red Seal Trade certification or equivalent
- Experience in the following:
- Lattice friction cranes
- Working on marine derricks
- Experience driving various types of piles and different methods of driving
- Clamshell dredging
- Experience working with a unionized labor force
- Familiar with Work Safe Regulations and CSA Standards
- Currently have or willing to obtain a Level 1 First Aid Certification (company will provide training)
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Proficient with MS office
- Must hold a valid class 5 driver’s license
- Flexible team player who is able to work as required and willing to adapt to change
- Strong written and verbal communication capable of taking initiatives
- Self-directed, motivated and able to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to recognize errors
- Time management and organization skill with a commitment to follow-up and follow through
- Base location FRPD New Westminster Yard
- Ability to travel as required