Fraser River Pile & Dredge (GP) Inc. (FRPD)is Canada’s largest Marine & Infrastructure, Land Foundations, and Dredging contractor. The company is privately owned with operations mainly in Western Canada and projects reaching across the country.
FRPD is a growing, award-winning company with significant opportunities for advancement. We know that our success is through our people and we focus on developing talented individuals looking to take advantage of the diverse scope of our many exciting projects.
We are seeking a Chief Mate with a demonstrated ability to manage assigned duties promptly and efficiently. This position will be based on the FRPD 309, a trailing suction hopper dredger that is currently dredging on the Fraser River.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chief Mate’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Master and being responsible for duties of Watchkeeping Mate.
- Familiarity with the Master's responsibilities and duties in the event he/she is required to assume command.
- Taking charge of a navigation watch.
- Supervising dredging operations and optimizing production and the continuity of the vessel.
- Instructing crew in all aspects of their work.
- Ensuring that the vessel is clean and necessary maintenance is carried out.
- Ensuring the deck equipment is properly maintained.
- Inspecting, caring for, and maintaining the lifesaving and firefighting equipment.
- Initiating orders for deck stores, as required.
- Inputting/updating information into the electronic maintenance management system.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Certificate of Competency
Preferred-Transport Canada Chief Mate
Minimum-Transport Canada Chief Mate, Near Coastal
- Marine Medical Certificate, Transport Canada
- Certificate of Proficiency in Basic Safety Training
- Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats
- Certificate of Proficiency in Advance Fire Fighting
- Marine Advanced First Aid
- Radio Operator’s Certificate–Maritime Commercial, minimum
- Eligible to be added to Pacific Pilotage Authority Coastal Waiver from Compulsory Pilotage
- 12-hour days with overtime as required
- Live aboard vessel/24-hour-a-day operation
- Unionized position with the Canadian Merchant Service Guild
This position is challenging, and interesting and will be well suited to an individual looking to further expand their existing skill set and take part in an exciting experience within a strong and healthy work environment.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Do you have a Certificate of Competency (Preferred-Transport Canada Chief Mate/ Minimum-Transport Canada Chief Mate, Near Coastal)?
- Do you have BC Coastal waters experience?
- Are you eligible to work for any employer in Canada?