Job Requisition ID: 33716
Ministry: Cypress Hills Provincial Park (Hidden Valley Ski Resort)
Location: Cypress Hills Provincial Park
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Scope: Wage Opportunity
Closing Date: Open till Suitable Candidate Found
Classification: Administrative Support 2
We support Albertans in being proud stewards of air, land, water, and biodiversity by leading the work required for the desired environmental outcomes and sustainable development of natural resources.
To see the geographic area of Regions and locations of Provincial Parks, download and review pdf:
Hidden Valley Ski Resort is located in Cypress Hills Provincial Park, (also known as Cypress Hill Interprovincial Park). The Park spans the Southeast corner of Alberta and the Southwest corner of Saskatchewan. The unique landscape of the area contrasts the surrounding prairie landscapes, making it an exciting destination for winter recreation opportunities.
Cypress Hills Provincial Park (CHPP) is home to Hidden Valley Ski Resort (HV) as well as a diverse range of Cross Country Ski Trails. The Ski Resort is located on the Alberta side of the Park, 10 minutes from the town site of Elkwater, AB and 40 min from Medicine Hat, AB. For more information about Hidden Valley Ski Resort, visit
We are looking for front-line Café Assistants for the 2022 – 2023 winter ski season to work at the Mountain Side Café and Snowflake Lounge located in the onsite Day Lodge.
Reporting to the Cafe Supervisor, Cafe Assistants work as part of a team to provide ski hill guests with a positive, effective and efficient interaction and experience.
Cafe Assistant duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation, sale, and serving of food and alcohol while adhering to approved Food Safe practices; must be 18 years of age
- Taking cash/credit card payments; using the POS system
- Sanitizing kitchen and lounge areas, as well as utensils and equipment
- Ensuring excellent customer service and positive guest experiences
- May be required to assist in other departments as needed
- High School Diploma
- Prior to first day of employment, ProServe certification is required
- Ability to stand for long periods of time; ability to lift 25 kg
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and team work skills
- Ability to problem-solve in a fast paced environment
- Customer service and point-of-sales experience strongly preferred
- Previous experience in the food service industry
- Food Safety certification
- Knowledge of Hidden Valley Ski Resort facilities and surrounding areas
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies related to this role.
AGILITY—to understand the need to incorporate change into work and be open to new ideas while accepting change as part of how work processed need to evolve in order to be effective.
CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING—to assess options and implications in new ways in order to achieve outcomes and solutions.
BUILDING COLLABORATIVE ENVIRONMENTS—to lead and contribute to the conditions and environment that allow people to work collaboratively and productively to achieve outcomes.
$19.40 – $23.61 per hour
- Weekend shift differential paid at a rate of $3.25 per hour
Wage employees receive 11.2% in addition to regular wage earnings in lieu of benefits and vacation leave.
- 5.2 percent of regular wage earnings instead of paid holidays
- 6 percent of regular wage earnings instead of annual vacation pay
Terms of Employment:
- Shifts are 8 hours a day, up to 40 hours a week.
- Candidates must be willing to work weekends and holidays, varying start dates from December 1, 2022 until March 31, 2023, pending end of ski season and operational needs.
- Multiple positions are available.
- Various low cost accommodations are available for rent in Elkwater.
- There is no public transportation to the Ski Resort, You must have reliable transportation to and from work. The Ski Resort is located about 10 min from Elkwater and about 40 min from Medicine Hat.
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Dianna Sidon at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check