The Blaster is responsible for ensuring all blasting operations are carried out in compliance with Federal, Provincial and local statutes and with Company policies, regulations and standard operating procedures. The safety of all persons, facilities and equipment is paramount. The Blaster is directly accountable to the Drill/Blast Foreman.
- Through knowledge of Federal, Provincial and/or Municipal legislation, is responsible for the safe design, setup and execution of blasting operations.
- Adheres to all Company policies, regulations and/or standard operating procedures respecting the safe and effective design, setup and execution of blasting operations.
- Assists the Mine Engineer with drill and blast design.
- Ensures Mine Operations personnel are aware of all regulations and safety requirements involved with conducting blasting operations.
- Assists Mine Operations personnel with equipment placement prior to conducting blasting operations.
- Measures and loads blast holes with the required explosive product.
- Designs and implements blast tie-in.
- Investigates misfires as needed and recommends appropriate follow-up or changes to existing conditions or policies.
- Accurately completes in detail, and within required timelines, all documentation required under existing legislation or Company policy.
- As required by legislation or Company policy, maintains accountability for documenting, tracking and ensuring accurate record keeping of all incoming and outgoing explosive products.
- Ensures that the required housekeeping and signage is maintained for all blasting sites and explosive magazines.
- Assists with training, mentoring, coaching and evaluating junior blasters and blaster helpers.
- Performs other related duties as required by the Drill/Blast Foreman
- A high school education or GED equivalent is required. English language literacy is essential. Completion of the Alberta Provincial Blaster’s Certification and possession of a valid Alberta Blaster’s Certificate is mandatory.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience blasting in a surface operations coal mine setting (preferred)